Friday, April 27, 2012

A Week of Art in Las Vegas- Part 2- Books

Staying at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas for a week while my husband attended the NAB convention, I spent some quality time in the room reading art books. (What can I say, I'm not a gambler or a drinker/party girl!) The room was decorated with these great books. The one I spent the most time on was 30,000 Years of Art
This is a monster of a book, in size wise as well as scope. Each page featured a picture of an artifact and a brief description of how it was made and why it was important. I got about halfway through this book (600 pages in) and realizing I didn't have time to finish, I browsed through the artwork on the remaining pages. If you love art history, this is worth the time and weight lifting involved to read it. On the lighter side, this book was a fun quick read: They Called Her Styrene
This book features the work of Edward Ruscha, who works with words on canvas, etc. He finds many of his subjects (words and phrases) in the course of everyday life. My favorite was "Smelled like the back of an old radio."
The book I wished I had more time to spend reading was The Art of Looking Sideways by Alan Fletcher. This was a book of creative thinking and a sideways sort of philosophy.
While I was out shopping I bought this book, And The Story Is Happening by Sabrina Ward Harrison (I'm a fan of her work and own several of her previous books.) I didn't realize that this book just came out. The pages are pure color and emotion that definitely take me to another place. The book also features a packet of ephemera based on images from the pages of the book that you can incorporate into your own journaling. What a great idea!
My next post will be about my trip to the Neon Boneyard (the highlight of the trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment