Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Dogs of Paris

I spent a long weekend in Paris, France. We stayed at a wonderful little hotel in St. Germaine called Hotel Verneuil. The goal my husband and I set for the trip was to go to the Musée D'Orsay and Louvre and spend some time wandering around St. Germaine and other parts of Paris that we hadn't gotten a chance to see on our last trip six years ago. We met with great success, and I will share some of the highlights of our trip on my blog this week.
Our flight arrived in Paris around 7:30 am and we arrived at our hotel around 9:00 am but our room wouldn't be available until later that afternoon. So with the recommendation of the concierge we headed down the street to a bakery cafe called Eric Kayser for croissants and hot beverages. Once set with baked goods beyond compare and a hot cup of tea for me, we sat at a table that had a view of the side street. I snapped this picture while seated in the bakery- this little dog waited so patiently for it's owner while she shopped at this beautiful cheese shop. (I have plans to do a watercolor sketch of this scene.) Paris is definitely a dog city, like New York. I saw many small white short haired dogs (don't know what breeds they were) and overall the dogs were extremely well behaved, keeping to themselves as they walked along, with and without leashes. Missing my own dog (Cailean is my 11 year old Scottish Terrier, who was checked into her favorite doggie spa, Smitty's Kennel of Middle Island, NY.) I continued to take notice of the dogs of Paris everywhere we went. They didn't allow photos inside the Musée d'Orsay, but they did in the Louvre, so I continued my dog watching on day three of my trip:
One more stop at Eric Kayser at the end of our stay, and this big fella was waiting for his mistress while she bought bread inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment