Monday, April 23, 2012

A week of art in Las Vegas-Part 1- The Cosmopolitan Hotel

I spent all of last week in Las Vegas accompanying my husband to his annual National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention. Left to my own devises while he worked a full schedule at the convention, I had brought my art journaling supplies with every intention of camping out in the room we had at the Cosmopolitan Hotel (since I don't drink or gamble, I figured my options were limited, especially since I have been to Las Vegas before and had seen most of the hotels and free attractions on the strip). Little did I know how this hotel with the great commercials caters to artists and people who love art. So I spent the week on a series of art field trips and reading art books that were scattered throughout our room. But I digress. Let's start with an overview of the hotel. The lobby is amazing, with huge video columns in the check in area that run different visuals from their commercials to fractal art, swirling fall leaves, bubbles, and pine trees with falling snow. Here is a short film from Youtube that features some of the hotel's interior spaces: (Some of those things have changed since they made the video- no giant high heel shoes or dog statues). I missed the artist in residence in P3 by a day) The parking lot features art on the walls by one of my favorite graffiti artists, Shepard Fairey.
This steampunk sculpture was on the second floor just outside the elevators from the West tower where our room was.
Did I mention the killer view of Las Vegas and the fountains at the Bellagio that we had from the balcony of our room:
Next post I will talk about some of the books in the room that I spent time reading, as well as my trip to the Neon Boneyard. In the meantime, enjoy this elevator stories commercial from the Cosmopolitan Hotel on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment