Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sept. 11- Journaling about the day

I spent the morning in front of the television watching the families reading the names of the fallen at ground zero in New York City as I do every year. I sit there and cry even though I was among the fortunate, I did not loose a loved one that day. I do know someone who did. My husband works in NYC and he heard the sound of the plane hitting the first tower as he walked to work that morning. I was out walking my dog and came home to check the answering machine (something I usually forget to do) and received his message "I'm okay, turn on the tv and call me." Pretty cryptic but I did just that and watched the coverage in disbelief as I called. He told me he was okay, but that he would not be coming home that night, since he worked in the media and he knew it would be a long day and night ahead. I watched the surreal as that second plane hit, knowing that this was no accident and that there was more to come. I called the school where my kids were, trying to get a message to them that their daddy was safe but that message did not get to them before the news did- their classmates were getting pulled out of school, some of them lost their moms and dads that day.

I always feel drained by the day, and I am one of the fortunate ones. I looked back at my journals and wasn't all that surprised that I hadn't journaled about it at the time. In fact it was only the five year anniversary that I made an attempt to get something in my journal to document the day in a graphic way.

I haven't done a page since then. Since it's the 10th anniversary, I want to do one now, so I've been trying to work on one, but it is slow going. I had hoped to post something tonight, but these things take time.

Let us remember the fallen, the families, the first responders and our military and their families.

Remember, renew, rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment